The Construction Plant-hire Association’s (CPA) Stars of the Future awards scheme is being expanded in 2020 with both national and regional awards for Plant Mechanics, Plant Technicians, Lifting Technicians, Plant Operators and Hire Controllers across the UK.
Stars of the Future nominations are invited from plant-hire companies, manufacturers, contractors, suppliers and others operating in the construction plant sector. Nomination forms are available on the CPA website at https://www.cpa.uk.net/starsdownloads/ and following the judging process, winners will be announced at the Stars of the Future awards ceremony being hosted at the Heart of England Conference and Events Centre in Fillongley near Coventry on Wednesday 10th June 2020. The closing date for nominations is Thursday 9th April 2020.
Stars of the Future is a national awards scheme for apprentices and trainees in the construction plant-hire industry, organised by the CPA, the leading trade association for the plant-hire sector in the UK. The CPA has over 1,700 members who supply 85% of hired plant to the construction industry.
Traditionally, Stars of the Future has rewarded Plant Mechanics but the scope of the 2020 event is being extended further. There are now a total of five categories, with national and regional awards for Plant Mechanics (Level 2), Plant Technicians (Level 3), Lifting Technicians, Plant Operators and Hire Controllers. These categories reflect the key occupations in the plant industry and correspond with apprenticeships that are available, including new ‘Trailblazer’ apprenticeships in England.
Kevin Minton, CPA Chief Executive said: “Stars of the Future recognises the UK’s most promising apprentices and trainees in the construction plant sector and the awards scheme is now in its eighth year. Each year it has grown in stature and the 2020 event promises to be even bigger and better than ever with more awards than ever before. We’d like to urge employers and companies in the construction plant sector to nominate apprentices and trainees who they believe should be recognised as stars in the making.”
Stars of the Future winners will be in contention for a number of prizes. Last year Plant Mechanic winners won Snap-on tool kits and other prizes included an all-expenses-paid trip to Germany to visit a Liebherr crane manufacturing plant for the CPA Lifting Technician Star of the Future winner.
To qualify for a CPA Stars of the Future award, applicants need to be:
Employed and working on one of the listed occupations at the appropriate level;
- On a recognised apprenticeship or a formal training programme of at least 12 months duration for the occupation;
- Working towards or hold a relevant NVQ, SVQ or other form of formal occupational competence-based qualification;
- On a formal training programme with an appropriate length of off-the-job training.
For specific occupations, nominees need to be:
- Plant Mechanic Level 2
- On a recognised apprenticeship or a formal training programme of at least 24 months duration.
- On a recognised apprenticeship or formal training programme of at least 18 months duration for the occupation;
- Operating either a tower, crawler or mobile (wheeled) crane which forms a major element of the apprenticeship or training programme, supplemented by slinging and signalling activities.
- Operating at least two types of ride-on construction plant* which forms a major element of the apprenticeship or training programme.
* Excludes mobile, crawler or tower crane operations as covered by the Lifting Technician Award.