Despite the difficult times, supporting apprenticeships is extremely important for the future of the sector and the Construction Plant-hire Association (CPA) is urging plant-hire companies, manufacturers, contractors, suppliers and others operating in the construction plant sector to recognise their apprentices’ achievements and is encouraging employers to nominate their outstanding apprentices and trainees for the CPA Stars of the Future 2020 Awards.
There are five primary awards categories for Plant Mechanics, Plant Technicians, Lifting Technicians, Plant Operators and for the first time – Hire Controllers. Sponsored by headline sponsor Sunbelt Rentals, nominations for the CPA Stars of the Future 2020 Awards are open until 31st May 2020 and nomination forms are available on the CPA website at https://www.cpa.uk.net/starsdownloads/
The CPA was originally planning to host a physical Stars of the Future awards ceremony at the Heart of England Conference and Events Centre in Warwickshire on 10th June 2020, but sadly this can no longer take place due to restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the winners for each awards category will be announced via a multimedia channel announcement later this year. The awards categories and prizes are as follows:
- Level 2 Plant Mechanic of the Year sponsored by Lynch Plant – There will be regional and national awards for this category. Regional winners will be awarded a Snap-on student tool kit and the national winner will receive a Snap-on roll cart filled with tools.
- Level 3 Plant Technician of the Year sponsored by Lynch Plant – Like the Plant Mechanic category, there will be regional and national awards for Plant Technicians. Regional winners will be awarded a Snap-on student tool kit and the national winner will receive a Snap-on roll cart filled with tools.
- Plant Operator of the Year sponsored by ACOP Group and Lynch Plant – The winner will receive a training course and CPCS card on a category of their choice. Accommodation will also be provided for the week-long training course.
- Lifting Technician of the Year sponsored by Liebherr – The winner will receive an all-expenses paid trip to Germany to visit a Liebherr crane manufacturing plant.
- Hire Controller of the Year sponsored by Flannery – This is the first year that Hire Controllers have been included in the CPA Stars of the Future Awards in recognition of the new Trailblazer Apprenticeship for Hire Controllers. The winner will receive an iPad.
In addition, there will be a Judges’ Special Award sponsored by NOCN Group, and the winner will receive an iPad. The CPA is also introducing a new prize this year called the ‘CPA Prize for the Best Personal Statement from a Candidate.’ Nominations are welcomed from both employers and training providers and nominees are invited to submit their own personal statement which can be in written or video format.
Kevin Minton, Chief Executive of the CPA said: “Now more than ever in these challenging times, the industry needs to recognise and reward the talents and achievements of apprentices and trainees in the plant sector. Even though we’re unable to hold the physical awards ceremony, we’re still very excited about the awards programme this year as there are some fantastic prizes and opportunities to gain recognition across the industry. Stars of the Future is now in its eighth year and year on year it has grown in stature to recognise apprentices and trainees who are stars in the making.”